Monday, April 9, 2012

Bruno Schulz via Nicole Krauss

As I was painting my toenails, I wanted to listen to a podcast and came across Nicole Krauss reading Bruno Schulz's story “Father’s Last Escape” (via The New Yorker on SoundCloud). This piqued my interest because The History of Love by Krauss is one of my absolute favorite novels -- it's one of those reads that you wish could go on forever -- and there's a character named Bruno in it (modeled after the historical Bruno Schulz [1892-1942], which I wasn't aware of until today!). If you have a half hour to spare, you should really listen to this podcast -- Krauss speaks about Schulz's life and death, contextualizes "Father's Last Escape" before narrating it, and then goes on to compare "Father's Last Escape" to Franz Kafka's "The Metamorphosis".

No comments:

Post a Comment