Wednesday, June 6, 2012

PARIS, 2012.

I woke up at around 4:00am (probably as a result of my falling asleep at 9:30pm) and now I can't go back to sleep because my body still thinks it's in Estonia, which is seven hours ahead of NYC time.

Tempus fugit. It feels just like yesterday it was my birthday (May 24th) and I was boarding a plane to Europe, but now, somehow, it's June 6th, and it's day two status post returning from my Paris/Tallinn trip with Bart.



Paris, Day 1:

POMPIDOU.

POMPIDOU ESCALATORS.
ENTRY ON THE 4TH FLOOR.

LARRY RIVERS (1923-2002), I LIKE OLYMPIA IN BLACK FACE, 1970.

SIDE VIEW OF I LIKE OLYMPIA IN BLACK FACE.

JOAN MIRO (1893-1983), PORTRAIT D'UNE DANSEUSE (PORTRAIT OF A DANCER), 1928.

In order to fully appreciate pieces such as this, I think it's best to be guided by the short blurb alongside the piece itself, which stated the following: 
Of the four portraits in the series that Joan Miro produced on the theme, this one is probably the most streamlined. On a canvas covered in white enamel paint, a hat pin, a cork and a feather. These three innocuous objects with no obvious aesthetic quality are deliberately pinned and stuck by Joan Miro in the center of an empty rectangle to create the portrait of a dancer. The work belongs to a new kind of poetry. The arrangement is striking in its grace, lightness, its movement in space and the relationship to empty space, all of which are evocative of dance. there is also humor, that of children's games, of which the artist was always in favor. Artistic economy and concentration like this are not accidental, but stem from major preparatory studies.

BIRTHDAY DINNER AT LE POTAGER DU MARAIS.

I would recommend this only if you want to impress your significant other with fancy ambiance at a vegetarian friendly joint. The vegetables we had were soggy and although it was cool they offered quinoa as a rice replacement and that I could clearly taste the saffron in my dish (which made my taste buds happy), I'd say this restaurant is overpriced (€17-25 for main entrees) and you're better off saving your €s.
Paris, Day 2:
NOTRE DAME, MAIN FACADE.
ME CAPTURING A PICTURE OF BART CAPTURING A PICTURE OF THE PANTHEON'S PENDULUM.
Now that's meta.
ORSAY.
MANET'S LE DEJEUNER SUR LE HERBE.
GRUMP ATTACK: This bro got angry that I successfully snapped a shot and he grumbled as he walked past me.
VIEW FROM ATOP L'ARC DU TRIOMPHE.
VAT?
OH LA LA!
MESMERIZED.
I shall cover Tallinn, Estonia in a later post!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment